Roasted Garlic and Chevre Lasagne – Low Carb and Gluten-Free
- 1 head garlic
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup raw cashews pieces (2.25 ounces)
- ¾ cup filtered water
- 1 egg
- 4 ounces chevre or fresh goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped mixed fresh herbs such as thyme, rosemary and sage
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon Freshly ground pepper
- 2 medium zucchini, stem cut off (1.5 pounds)
- 1 small eggplant, stem cut off (1.25 pounds)
- 1 small sweet onion, peeled and cored
- 1 medium tomato, cored and thinly sliced
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan Reggiano or Hard Aged Goat Cheese
- Fresh basil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut ends of garlic head off with a serrated knife exposing individual tips of garlic cloves. Place root-side down on a double layer of aluminum foil and drizzle olive oil over the exposed garlic clove ends. Wrap foil into a packet and transfer to the oven (seam side-up.) Roast garlic until soft, fragrant and starting to brown, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from oven and open packet and allow garlic to cool.
- Puree cashew pieces and water in blender until completely smooth, 1 ½ to 2 minutes, scraping down sides occasionally. Squeeze garlic out of papery skins into the cashew mixture and discard skins. Add egg, chevre or fresh goat cheese, chopped mixed herbs, salt and pepper and puree until smooth and creamy.
- Cut zucchini, eggplant and onion lengthwise as thinly as possible into sheets with a mandolin or very sharp knife.
- Coat a 9 by 9 inch baking dish or other 2 ½ quart baking dish with cooking spray. Spoon about ¼ cup chevre sauce onto bottom of the baking dish. Layer a third of the zucchini, eggplant and onion into the bottom of the dish. Layer in ½ cup chevre sauce. Top with another layer of vegetables and sauce. Top with a final layer of vegetables, tomatoes, and any remaining chevre sauce. Cover with a layer of parchment and then cover with foil and transfer to the oven.
- Bake until completely cooked through and the vegetables are soft, 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes. An instant read thermometer inserted into the center of the casserole will register 180 degrees or higher. Remove foil and top with the Parmesan or aged goat cheese. Return to the oven until the cheese is melted, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool 15 minutes before garnishing with basil and serving.
Read more at http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2013/11/roasted-garlic-and-chevre-lasagne-low-carb-and-gluten-free.html#GTy1QGEbz3AUFC6t.99
Serves 6. Each serving has 12 g of carbs and 4 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 8 g.
200 Calories; 13g Fat (56.3% calories from fat); 11g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 49mg Cholesterol; 480mg Sodium